Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they would like to believe, often to their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the long run they are most at risk of doubt and conspiracy theories. For the last 6 months people all over the globe are extremely disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not so much because of the deadly effects of the virus than the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s brought in its wake. They desperately need certainly to get back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to just accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a joke, it’s only a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is created and the social networking as always helps it spread-at times even faster than the killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the facts that over 80 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only older people with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that normally the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for a few countries. However, facts also show that the dead includes young adults too and everyone can be infected from this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’chapters of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions right from the start symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US of which we will not make an outline here just to prevent vulnerable minds go through and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here that this writer got a social media forward giving a connect to articles by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is really a’political hoax ‘. Once we mentioned earlier a lot of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than the usual medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that just a’annual influenza’has been labeled as a pandemic and he wanted action contrary to the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a string of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory stops working at the essential premise itself: if that is so then this phenomenon should be occurring each year, and why then this season should be so different! Governments need not have gone on an urgent situation drive to generate more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds just to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of varied affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some of which we narrate below as arguments to break such forms of fake and motivated views:
1. Let’s take the exemplory instance of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring a lot of conspiracy theories about China itself we only ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is the effect of a virus) when it comes to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful keeping in mind the infected numbers below 100,000 the united states remains fearing another outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to prevent its spread. Its aggression against India can be explained as part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million so far and remains on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a situation of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one would be to take into account a death rate of over 14% (seen in a couple of countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization keep on telling’lies’that the new Coronavirus is very dangerous that will probably stay for significantly more than 2 yrs and the worst is yet to come despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted in the beginning that this pandemic is the largest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the world keep on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way in which for a recession possibly even worse than the Great Depression? Specifically, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. Exactly why is this kind of mad rush all over the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At the very least this kind of intensive medical research cannot mask an invisible agenda whatever which could be.
Within the last couple of days new cases in India have now been rising at nearly 25000 per day with the only solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. Only at that crucial juncture we ought to not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to make a kill when it comes to profit. Like, if your link for articles with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social networking and motivated media outlets consider the type of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.